Trip to market...
When was the last time you went to the market/pasar at your place. It really has been a long time for me(years). So when my mom asked me to follow her there today i thought,why not? At the market, i noticed that nothing really has changed there. I mean i expected to see the place much cleaner with new tilings and stuff like that but to my surprise everything was exactly the same. I even recognised some of the shop/stall owner,which surprised me(didnt expect them to continue running their business after so long).For example the Old Mak Cik(when i was 13),selling spices was still there even after 10 years. The crowd seemed to be the more or less the same. I went there thinking it would be packed with the increase in population and all. Guess more ppl head to hypermarkets nowadays to get their stuff.
As i was moving along from stall to stall i wondered how it would be to sell one specifis item for your entire life. For example the man who sells eggs, thats all he ever deals with,EGGS. The fishmonger, FISH. The coconut seller, COCONUTS. A funny type of specialization/pengkhususan to me. I also noticed the the way all the different food products were separated from each other strategically. Spices(dry) was next to the vegetable area. Both of these were separated from the area specified from meat(dirty) by a large pathway. These area were futher separated from the seafood area(wet). Every time you went from one area to another, I felt like i was switching dimension, they were that different from each other.Just felt like sharing all this for all those who havent been to the market before.

Before i end this post, there was something that happened in the market that really got me angered which i need to share. As we were heading out of the market, we encountered an indian boy begging for donation at the entrance.He was on a wheelchair and was passing out fliers concerning the orphanage he was from. I felt sorry for the small guy and went to give him some money.I asked the boy where he was from and he said Kajang.A lady wearing a punjabi dress approached us as i was asking him this question. She was there to take care of the boy as he asked for donation/begged. I really felt angry when i saw this. How could someone use these kids as bait(using sympathy), to get ppl to donate money. Dont these kids have their own dignity. At least stand with him while he asks for donation for gods sake. Its not as if all the money is going to him.Only 10-20% of it is going to reach the orphans. Arent there better ways to get donations?I felt like telling her off but didnt coz in the end she would have taken out my anger onto that boy. I left the market after that,constantly looking back at the boy,feeling slightly upset/pissd.
posted by TI_clown on 2:51 PM / there are 6 comments for this post.
 
6 Comment(s):

At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fella sitting and begging at pasar seni is fine. he got up after his SHIFT and went to the busses and started shouting SEREMBAN SEREMBAN. got conmen dressed in suits claiming that they've lost their belongings and trying to borrow money from students. sum gurls kena con edy.
 


At 11:34 AM, Blogger jkavi said...

sigh.. =(

Actually most of the time when i see the children begging for money i tend to just keep away because i hate when they look at me with the "help me please" eyes . so shaddd =(

Well like you said most of the time none of that shit ever goes to them anyhow. screwed up society. gah

oh btw i didnt know markets are TILED. -.-
 


At 8:02 AM, Blogger Master Magnus said...

I never EVER give money to children. Its basically simple, its a syndicate 99% of the time and these kids are marginalised, abused, probably kidnap victims sometimes. When you give money it doesn't really help them, but you encourage more of the same.

The money you pay out to some little kid on Petaling Street today could become the motivation for someone to kidnap your own kid one day to take to Thailand, disfigure/cripple them and make them beg.

A little perspective, while you're reading this a few kids have already die in China/India/Africa. If you care, volunteer at an orphanage, but don't give money to shady people.

As for the market. You know I always used to go to the Pasar Besar Seremban with my mom every weekend to go grocery shopping. My fave place was the mutton stall where I was enthralled by the chopping of meat (yes I was drawn to butchery even as a child). I've bought chicks there that I raised at home, and always wound up eating curry mee upstairs where we would inevitably run into my grandfather drinking coffee out of a saucer with his other retiree friends.

Good times. But you know when I go back now all that nostalgia fades into disgust at the place and then I want to go to Jusco.......

Sad isn't it
 


At 9:55 AM, Blogger Warlock said...

Yes I agree with Magnus. I never give to the children begging at the streets. If you do want to give there are other places to give to where you dont have to worry about the money going somewhere else ..

If we keep on giving then the syndicates will only trap more kids and make them beg. Donate only to real charity orgs where 100% of the money goes to the needy.
 


At 10:45 AM, Blogger Adole said...

well, i have never met kids begging for money actually, but on the other hand, they r selling something. i feel bad when i c them walking around wearing rugged clothes. Y kids have to suffer like that.

and to those who really exploit kids for menial money like this, they r worst than beast, even beast still loves their kids. inhuman.
 


At 12:11 PM, Blogger Master Magnus said...

When a new male lion takes over the pride he immediately proceeds to kill all the cubs
 

Post a Comment
div
 
elin
r6p
Danikenkai
ShiNGaMi*HoLoCaust
Master Magnus
chino
cLown
Lali
SiriuzGrey
Adole
Ice_princess
Warlock
Arc
crapper
jkavi
Sai
Ditpet
rudecrudedude
 
forgiveness
Still Alive
Merdeka Madness II
fun test
sleeepyyyy
SCAM!!!!
Gemilang!
I still exist
=)
dinner with Lali
 
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
October 2009
November 2009
February 2010