Romeo & Juliet
Watched a part of Baz Lurhmann's take on Romeo & Juliet. It was pretty good, at least up to the part where the DVD stopped playing (darn that Siriuz and his 5 for RM 10 DVDs ... now I have to go look for the movie)

I was really impressed by the depth of Shakespeare's writing skill, how he manages to convey messages in such a beautiful and poetic way. Too bad we never learnt anything about him or his plays in school. No, we had to learn how "Ali, Muthu and Chong went to the market together". Malaysian education sucks, more so our English lessons. Was it just me or was English just an excuse to zone out and talk crap to your bench mates ? After reading some of Shakespeare's work online I realised that Literature IS NOT EQUAL TO CRAP. I know reading all the Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa and crap like that gave a bad impression on Literature, but there are some gems like ... er .. ok I can't think of any good Malay equivalent but Shakespeare rocks !

It's sad that the only taste of Literature we got was Malay ones and most of them read like some sad attempts at fantasy by someone whose idea of description is to pound the readers with superlatives and exaggeration until the reader's mind shuts off and he manages to plod along the story in a near comatase state. It is sad that I couldn't find any literary beauty in any of the Malay classics that I have read. Why couldn't we have learned Lord Of The Rings at school ? Or L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth ? Or Isaac Asimov's Foundation series ? Oh wait, then we would have probably ended up liking to read earlier and thus become mature and enlightened citizens. A big no no for politicians who rely on the natural apathy and dimwittedness of Malaysian citizens to funnell money into their private bank accounts. So far as I have noted, we Malaysian have an very short memory span, we'll follow a story and lambast the offending party as long as the news is still sensational. As soon as the news is no longer 'hot' we forget all about it.

Ok , back to Shakespeare. Here are some parts that I like ...


_________________________________________________________________
Romeo describing Rosaline, who he has fallen for but she has decided to not-reciprocate his love and instead swear a vow of chastity . I like the part about not opening her lap to saint-seducing gold :P

Romeo :

Well, in that hit you miss: she'll not be hit
With Cupid's arrow,—she hath Dian's wit;
And, in strong proof of chastity well arm'd,
From love's weak childish bow she lives unharm'd.
She will not stay the siege of loving terms
Nor bide th' encounter of assailing eyes,
Nor ope her lap to saint-seducing gold:
O, she's rich in beauty; only poor
That, when she dies, with beauty dies her store.

_________________________________________________________________
Here when two buddies are relaxing, they happened to meet up with their enemies. Buddy 1 eggs on Buddy 2 to go and start a fight ...

My naked weapon is out: quarrel! I will back thee. (I should use this on out next DotA session)

_________________________________________________________________
Here Mercutio is asking Romeo to dance in a costumed party and to let go of his love-lorn sorrow.

Romeo :

Not I, believe me: you have dancing shoes,
With nimble soles; I have a soul of lead
So stakes me to the ground I cannot move.

Mercutio :

You are a lover; borrow Cupid's wings,
And soar with them above a common bound
.

Romeo :

I am too sore enpierced with his shaft
To soar with his light feathers; and so bound,
I cannot bound a pitch above dull woe:
Under love's heavy burden do I sink.

Mercutio :

And, to sink in it, should you burden love;
Too great oppression for a tender thing.

Romeo :

Is love a tender thing? it is too rough,
Too rude, too boisterous; and it pricks like thorn.


___________________________________________________________
Romeo on seeing Juliet for the first time


Romeo :

O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear;
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows
As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows.
The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand
And, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand.
Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.
_______________________________________________________________


And this has got the be the best way to steal a kiss ...

Romeo :

If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this,—
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

Juliet :

Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

Romeo :

Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too ?

Juliet :

Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.

Romeo :

O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do; <-- Note : In prayers hands come together :P
They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

Juliet :

Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.

Romeo :

Then move not while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by thine my sin is purg'd.

[Kissing her.]

Juliet :

Then have my lips the sin that they have took.

Romeo :

Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urg'd!
Give me my sin again.
<-- And he wants seconds .. cheeky bugger

____________________________________________________________

There, now I am going to reread the whole thing again and refresh my memory. I wonder if I'll be able to use any of the dialogue on a girl ... :) Of course sadly since not many actually read literature or appreciate old English most girls won't understand and they'll think me a looney .. Of course this would make a good test, wouldn't want to be with someone who isn't bright enough to figure out Shakespeare's pick up line :D
posted by Warlock on 12:45 PM / there are 0 comments for this post.
 
0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment
div
 
elin
r6p
Danikenkai
ShiNGaMi*HoLoCaust
Master Magnus
chino
cLown
Lali
SiriuzGrey
Adole
Ice_princess
Warlock
Arc
crapper
jkavi
Sai
Ditpet
rudecrudedude
 
Eric's Adventures
FF12 rocks!!!
Upcoming album
freedom
No title
PS3 launched!!!!
Blissful gathering
bleh
Halo The Movie
I hate the smell of morons in the morning
 
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
October 2009
November 2009
February 2010